Tomás Acea Cemetery
The Tomás Acea Cemetery is the unique cemetery-garden in Cuba builded on the outskirts of the city of Cienfuegos. Declared a National Monument on October 10, 1978 by its artistic values, architectural, historical and environmental factors. Located between km 3 and 4 of the old Road Rush, today September 5th Avenue, southeast of the city and only 15 km from the tourist area of Rancho Luna.
Opened on November 21, 1926 with part of the capital that left at his death Mrs. Francisca Garcia Tostes, wealthy widow of Nicholas Cienfuegos Acea and Salvador Rios, whose son Thomas was given this name funerary enclosure.
Despite having been built for the poor, there are all a waste of monumental sculptures made of Carrara marble, high quality, brought from Italy.
The design and execution of the work was done by engineers Paul Donato Luis Carbonell and Philip Ross, who were inspired by the most modern ideas of the time on the construction of cemeteries, which resulted in a beautiful garden cemetery where vaults, mausoleums and tombs are integrated harmoniously into the landscape.
The total area of the site is 17.6 hectares and is parceled out to different sections through avenues unified interior with various species of trees that give the name to each: Los Pinos, a foyer, cypresses, among others.
In the rest personalities Tomás Acea Cemetery history, culture, science, local and from abroad highlighted by its impressive facade of the main building, which is an eloquent expression of the Republican period architecture on the island
There are many funerary monuments of great cultural value among them those of prominent families and celebrities of the town as it is to the eminent actress Luisa Martínez Casado, the Veterans of the War of Independence and the Mausoleum dedicated to the martyrs of the September 5, 1957 when the marine and civil uprising against the dictatorship of Fulgencio Batista and was designed by sculptor and architects Evelio Lecuor Daniel Enrique Taboada and Capablanca. It also stands a monument to the Cienfuegos who gave blood in African countries fighting for the freedom of other brothers in the fulfillment of international missions.
Another site occupied today by the recently opened obelisk dedicated to Juan Luis Lorenzo De Clouet, founder of the ancient Villa Fernandina de Jagua in 1819 when French colonists settled in honor of King Fernando VII and his Aboriginal ancestry.