Monument Battle of Mal Tiempo
On the night of February 7, 1909, when society meeting held in local Spanish Union, was formed the commission of the monument project in Mal Tiempo. The newly created commission was aimed at understanding the exhumation and burial in one grave the remains of Cuban and Spanish who died in the battle of Mal Tiempo and build a monument at the location.
The commission developed a fundraising work for the project. Presumably, trade, banking, cultural and recreational institutions and other social factors contributed monetarily crucense this endeavor, but to date have reached only 58 grants written evidence submitted by other municipalities.
The choice of place to raise a monument was premised that it was related to the scene of combat, the management committee decided to accept the donation of land offered by Ms. Velazquez Coralia, on his farm San Jose's own neighborhood Mal Tiempo.
To run the project was selected Huquet Gerardo sculptor, Catalan based in Sagua la Grande, who then performed a funerary works in choosing Cruces and constructively to the memorial obelisk and Mal Tiempo as the materials and white Carrara marble gray.
In May 1910 the work had been topped. According to initial project the obelisk average of 7 feet from the surface of the earth, its base was built under a canopy of 2.5 square meters, inside which were interred the remains of Cuban and Spanish that were previously referred to at its enrollment cap in 1910.
Opening Memorial Mal Tiempo
For the inauguration of the monument was taken as the date the 15 anniversary of the fall of the apostle José Martí. On the morning of May 19, 1910 took place the opening ceremony. The obelisk covered with a light white cloth, was surrounded by a large representation of the people crucense and representatives of surrounding villages, which gave a heartfelt tribute shows popular.
The provincial governor lifts the veil from the monument while sounding chords of the national anthem, and then pronounced a speech, followed by the bishop who solemnly blesses the obelisk, uttering a prayer inspired by the feelings of love and brotherhood. Other speakers took the floor, but prevailed in every speech ideals of patriotism and concord.
Park Mal Tiempo
In the 1950s the park was established around the obelisk Mal Tiempo ordained paved streets and a large green area all of which contributed to enhance the beauty of the place, and rank it.
When the Revolution triumphed occurs the total release of Cuban political and social obstacles that tied him and tries to erase the past. In a bad year for the local application of the presence of the revolution in culture, the monument was demolished in 1963 as a result of a superficial assessment of the Monumental work, attending only isolated elements and not the overall significance and historical context of the stage of construction.
This situation was immediately inform the National Council of Culture, paralyzed the work of a new project, and rebuild the monument was oriented as close as possible to the above, the new construction was undertaken and completed in 1965.
The new monument respected construction aspects of the above, but were suppressed Piety and the sink, in replacement of the latter was placed another with the inscription:
In this historic place, the December 15, 1895 our liberation army under the command of General Antonio Maceo and Maximo Gomez, defeated the Spanish forces in decisive battle once again demonstrating the courage, bravery and steadfastness of our heroic mambises.
"Whoever tries to take over Cuba, gather the dust of her soil soaked in blood, if not perish in the struggle"
The historic site of Mal Tiempo was declared National Monument by Resolution No. 3 of the National Monuments Commission, given in Havana on October 10, 1978, when the same condition were four other monuments in the province of Cienfuegos.
In the preparatory work for the proclamation of the obelisk and historical site as a National Monument, the glass covering the part that makes you stand there exposed the remains was replaced by a marble slab in the same color as the rest of the monument, and whose center is a bronze plaque embossed with the bell of La Demajagua, symbol of National Monument.
The proclamation of the National Monument Mal Tiempo 86 coincided with the anniversary of the heroic deeds mambises. Tawny Luis Marrero, executive committee member of the Provincial Assembly of Popular Power in Cienfuegos, was responsible for the reading of the resolution. Also in attendance: Julio Pino Tomé, a member of the Provincial Bureau of the CPC and Armando Brigadier General Choi, Sergio Morales, the first secretary of the CPC Municipal Committee and Sonia Quintana, President of People's Power in the locality.